UNF SBDC Success Story: BandZorb

“The SBDC at UNF has offered incredible support for my start-up business endeavor.”

Terry Zebouni is the inventor of the revolutionary BandZorb® disposable headwear liners – the world’s first self-adhesive, absorbent, ultra-thin liners that come in two sizes, fit virtually all headwear and may be cut to fit children’s and teen’s headwear. They have a soft, cotton feel and were inspired by Terry’s own frustration, during her many times playing golf, in trying to prevent sweat and makeup from dripping into her eyes.

Having obtained the assistance of a Small Business Resource Network attorney in applying for a patent for her product, Terry turned to the Small Business Development Center at UNF for direction in how best to launch and market her business. She initially met with Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) representative and Certified Business Analyst (CBA) Lisa Haggerty, who provided advice in getting the product before Department of Defense procurement decision makers. CBA Paul Arrington assisted Terry in developing a strong business plan, a focus group questionnaire, overall marketing strategy and financial projections. When Terry realized that she needed additional working capital to finance portions of manufacturing and operations Paul was able to assist her in obtaining an SBA express loan. Michael Chung, a CBA in the SBDC’s Gainesville office, was called upon for his insights on pricing, marketing and distribution matters as was CBA Patrick Fitzgerald.
Terry’s product has achieved high recognition and was awarded “Best Overall New Product in Show” in the Inventors’ Spotlight at the 2011 PGA Merchandise Show. In June 2011 the business became an official licensee of the PGA tour and now proudly displays the PGA Tour logo on BandZorb® packaging and marketing materials. In October 2011 the BandZorb ® liner was one of three finalists for The Cygnus Law Enforcement Innovation Award in the apparel category and is one of four finalists selected for the prestigious 2012 Visionary Award presented by the International Non-Woven Association (INDA) in New Orleans in January.
Terry has this to say about her experience with working with the Small Business Development Center at UNF, “Paul Arrington, an expert business analyst, was easy to talk with about my challenges. With his assistance I was able to secure a SBA loan, to review and understand my financial projections, to learn how to make a “pitch” to investors and much more. He even became involved in helping me try to find a manufacturer. I truly believe that all of the SBDC counselors who worked with me – Lisa, Paul, Michael and Patrick – cared about my success. I always felt comfortable asking questions, and the answers were amazingly helpful. Contacting the SBDC is a wise step toward overcoming today’s business challenges.”
« »
SBDC Footer Shadow Background