A Christmas Carol, or not…

Image of open laptop with new blog post typed on screenAs noted in my previous blog, Santa and the Elves, at the request of a number of long-time readers, I am bringing back updated versions of two of my Christmas fables for December. In this blog, business owner Dale Wright is visited by the spirits of Business Past, Business Present, and Business Future and learns some valuable lessons. Apologies to Charles Dickens…

Business owner Dale Wright awoke from a troubled sleep to see what appeared to be his former CPA standing over him. But Michelle Lerner was a ghostly apparition, he could see right through her! Sitting up in bed, he cried out “Who are you?  What do you want?”  “Don’t be an idiot Dale, didn’t you ever read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens,” replied the apparition? “Of course,” said Dale, “and I’ve seen several movie versions. But what do Scrooge and Marley in 1843 have to do with you?”

“I,” uttered the apparition, “am part of version 2.0, the updated story adapted to your business. I came here tonight to save your bottom line, which you have squandered away after my untimely death at the age of 93. Clearly, in the 32 years I was your CPA you did not learn how to project cash flow or write a business plan! And look where your complacency has gotten you…” Dale considered this. It was true. Since Michelle had passed away three years ago he did without a CPA, using software to file his tax returns, while ignoring all the management reports that could be printed. He was running his business by the seat of his pants, or to be more correct, it was running him… around in circles!

Continue reading here.

Speaking of Business Blog by Dr. Philip R. Geist, Area Director, Florida SBDC at UNF

« »
SBDC Footer Shadow Background