Impacted by COVID-19? Special assistance is now available.

Meet Rhonda Stansberry, founder of A’tilob

woman sitting in a chair posing

A’tilob is a company formed by Rhonda Stansberry that serves as a vehicle for her original writing. Her first book is already in stores and on Amazon. She is currently working on several other projects including a screenplay.

Tell us about the book you have written.

The story portrays the unvarnished truth of the life and times of my father, numbers runner, racketeer, policy maker, gentleman, husband and father Frank Price “Chico” Baker. The book Numbers 35 & 53: The Case of the Brown Paper Bag gives readers a personal look as I travel back over fifty years, to when Frank’s dream of becoming a catcher in major league baseball was closed and another door opened. That door was opened to a world of unimaginable wealth, women, fast cars, and a mound of legal troubles. It give the readers an opportunity to feel his actual heartbeat as I tell this riveting saga of right, wrong, and the American Justice System.

How has the FSBDC at UNF helped you?

As a seasoned professional, Kevin Monahan of the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) has virtually acted as my very own divining rod. As a new business owner and author, the SBDC has provided me with the knowledge needed to make smart decisions and prosper. They have provided no-cost consulting services to help me grow my business to the next level. Kevin has supplied me with the tools to help market my book as well as my company. He has provided face-to-face business consulting on topics including business planning, accessing capital, as well as marketing strategies and who’s who to talk to, to sell and promote my book. His knowledge and connections are endless, and we are not finished yet.

What advice would you give to someone who wants to be an author?

Writing allows you to be creative, share a story, and educate your reader. It is self-expression.  Anyone wanting to write a book should be prepared to give their all to their story. You must believe in the project and know that what you are giving the reader is important.  Be proud of your work and be willing to accept criticism. You will become stronger with advice from outside parties.  ALWAYS REMEBER WRITE A STORY WORTH TELLING. Know the difference between a writer and an author.  If you have to make time to sit and read a book, then when will you have time to write a book? But if it is truly your passion, then keep your focus and consider it your plan “A” and do not have a plan “B” in place as it will only take the focus away from plan “A”.  Remember, writings never published means you remain a “writer” and not an “Author.”

« »
SBDC Footer Shadow Background